Sunday, August 3, 2008

Learning the Lesson

I need more positive thoughts and positive people in my life. In college, after a horrific year with the death of a few close friends and the cancer diagnosis of my Grandmother, I took a long look at my life. Then I started to fix it.

I removed people from my life who were draining me, the people who make you physically tired after a phone conversation. We all know them, the people who can walk into a room and suck the life right out of it. Yes, we know them well but we continue to keep them around anyway.

Fast forward more than a decade and I find myself staring into the mirror once again. This time it is different. I stare into the mirror as a woman who knows who she is and what she can and can not tolerate. A woman who knows what she enjoys and what she is not willing to compromise.

My happiness and self-assurance has come with a price. Although I am still young, it has taken me far too long to get here, but I will wallow in a great feeling so many people do not know.

I am healed from the wounds of the past decade and I am excited about my next steps in life. The possibilities and choices that I have are endless. After a great weekend of hanging with some really cool people from my Blue and White fam, I can say with confidence I am ready for the next step and starting to have a great time.

Thanks to a couple of Frat who are cool peeps in my book. Let's start with Frat who gave me the great stepping lesson Chicago-style, Frat who danced with everyone and got silly with us without worrying about the blackmail pictures that I am sure will show up on the Web, Frat and Sorors who did the New Edition dances with us on If It Isn't Love (love you for that :) and for the great laughs as I enjoyed the time with old friends and met new people.

I can now start my Love List with a bang but this post is about burying old habits and leaving the hurt and pain behind while learning the lesson. Finally, I am in love with me and it sure feels good.

Yes, I will continue to concentrate on learning the lesson.

5 comments:

  1. YES! YES! YES!

    We are indeed on the same path! Yes, I am determined to live a grand life and it all happens with loving who I am...right now!

    YES! YES! YES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I removed people from my life who were draining me, the people who make you physically tired after a phone conversation."

    i totally feel you!! to have progress you have to rid your self of these people.

    good post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovebabz,
    It is nice to have someone travel the same journey with you. Sometimes you just need to know someone else is feeling the exact same thing at the same time.


    12Kyle,
    Thank you, I am truly making progress even if sometimes it seems to be in slow motion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a soft and personally enduring post. Thanks for sharing. It definitely lends itself towards the 'everything will be okay' sentiment.

    I know a few people who suck the life out of me whenever they come around. Still I somehow deal with 'em. I probably avoid them after I move to another state.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post on your growth and your journey through love.

    "Finally, I am in love with me and it sure feels good."

    You are just where you are supposed to be. It was supposed to take that long for you to receive the lesson. I feel you sis, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete