Thursday, April 21, 2011

Black in Latin America: DR and Haiti

I know it has been a while since I have documented anything here but life has taken over. Considering my love of all things south of the border, my Salseras made sure I knew about this documentary series airing on PBS. A good number of my Salseras and Salseros (men and women who dance Salsa) would be considered "Black" until they opened their mouths. A few of them will keep you guessing until they decided to speak Spanish or (in a few cases) French.

There are a LOT of Americans who have no idea Africans were traded in South America and the islands before they made it to the U.S. The conversations I overhear in Salsa class amaze me sometimes. Including the lady who argued with my instructor about being hispanic as she demanded who gave him the authority to teach Salsa since he was obviously black!!

This should help and enlighten a few people. The full episode is embedded below. It is set to re-air so check your local listings. This is the first of the series including one on Cuba and Brazil. You KNOW I will be glued to the one on Cuba since the majority of my friends are now Cuban!

Amazing how race relations plague the world....



Watch the full episode. See more Black in Latin America.





Until Next Time,
Peace & Blessings...

3 comments:

  1. I caught this the other night and have been looking forward to it for weeks. It amazes me too that people have no idea about how the African slave trade affected the Hispanic population. How else can you explain that there are so many people who are dark-skinned like me yet are Brazilian? I find it all really fascinating. I hope people walk away from the show enlightened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting! I missed the full episode when it came on tv. I've gotta go back and watch it

    ReplyDelete
  3. The slave shipped stopped many places before they hit A-merry-ca.
    Mother Africa fingers are very long. I watched some of it, I found it interesting that so many hispanics deny their African roots.

    ReplyDelete