Thursday, June 24, 2010

Humans, Our OWN Worst Enemy

The place that holds many of my childhood memories now looks like this:



I agree with the Governor of Florida, it breaks my heart to see the photos of my beloved Pensacola Beach covered in oil. This CNN article has photos of a murky brown beach that was once coveted for its white sand.

My heart remembers what it looked like and the wildlife that was always there to greet you when you stepped foot out of your car. I remember the days when my entire extended family would pack up everyone and spend the day on the white sand, playing in the waves, making burgers on the grill, the sea gulls crying for bread and the coolers (one for the adults and one for the children). I remember not even a year ago when I accompanied my sister and her hubby as we took my niece to the beach for the first time.

Sadly my sister and I stood in almost the exact same spot that a few of these photos were taken:



In my mind it will forever look like this:



Humans...so often we are our OWN worst enemy. *sigh*




Until Next Time,
Peace & Blessings...

5 comments:

  1. Wow! I can c how this troubles u. Hopefully we can get it back 2 what it once was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never visited any beaches in Florida outside of Orlando. But I understand the passion that Floridians hold for their beaches. Not too mention the fond memories, as you stated, that are being challenged due to the oil spill.

    I read that BP has given Kevin Costner's approach some credence, so the spill might be coming to an end. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so sad to see the pics of the beach. Even though I don't go to the beach every day, I enjoy going when I do go. The children love it and now it's a disaster. This is an outrage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 25champ,
    Not sure if it will return to what it once was. There is no way of knowing the amount of damage the ecosystem suffered. But it is a nice thought...


    Don,
    Hopefully Kevin Costner can help. It never should have become this bad. Makes me think of the future gas prices.


    QueenBee,
    Almost forgot you were a Floridian. Locals never appreciate the beauty snd convenience of that beach until you move away from it. Speaking as someonw who used to be a local ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been to Pensacola, but growing up in Jacksonville, FL I can definitely relate.

    The LOVE of money is indeed the ROOT of all types of evil. That is the real culprit here...The LOVE of money.

    ReplyDelete