Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Power of a Pen

With the stroke of my pen
I erased a decade from my life

With the stroke of my pen
I am no longer called "wife"

With the stroke of my pen...
I embark on a new life.


I never realized how powerful a couple of strokes from a pen could be. Funny, how you have to decide your future, what you want, what you are willing to let go, the name you want to go by, all in a few days.

You spend over a year planning to join your life with someone and invite family and friends to enjoy the festivities. But, when it goes wrong (as it sometimes does) you wait in the shadows until some Judge sends you papers telling you that your life is now yours again.

Not telling anyone, you just nod and say "he's fine" whenever anyone asks about him. You shouldn't feel shame because you did nothing wrong. You didn't cheat, lie or treat him wrong. Things were not what you thought they were, but life isn't perfect.

He told you he was leaving because "life was too short not to be happy" and you wonder when did the woman of his dreams (his words) began to make his life "unhappy" and "too short" to live with you?

1 comment:

  1. Sister,
    You have captured my sentiments exactly. I could not have said this any better. It is as if you were listening to my heart.

    I feel so connected to this post and I am grateful I stopped in to read it...as if it were waiting for me. I believe it was.

    ReplyDelete