Monday, January 12, 2015

Paying off Debt (Part Four)...Simple Ways to Save Money

By the time I was serious about paying off my debt I had already cut my cable bill, cell phone bill and nixed the home phone. I fixed my meals at home and eating at restaurants became a treat. In short, I had already shaved the luxuries out of my life.

Saving money does not always equal the bare bones of life. Sometimes you can save money without changing your quality of life. Here are a few ways I found to save a few dollars that are not complicated.

Watching Television/Movies:

There is an app that rewards you for watching television with gift cards. It might sound a little too good to be true but I have used it for over a year. There are a few small catches to the app as it has evolved over the years. The gift cards are posted at variable times but for someone who loves television why not get paid to watch?

Online Shopping:

There are a few ways to save money while shopping online that are easy and efficient. Let's start with the search engines:

  • One of the first sites I visit when I shop online is ebates. They offer rebates for shopping online by sending checks quarterly. Yes, they actually send checks in the mail. I have used this site for at least two years. There is also an app for people who shop via their cell phone or tablet. It is only one extra step before shopping at your store of choice.
  • Shopping portals are another way to save money. They list coupons for various sites. This site will list rebates offered for various portals from the store you are making your purchase.



Searching the Web:

  • Swagbucks is a web site that credits you with "swagbucks" that can be used to purchase gift cards. You sign into the web site and use their search function. Periodically, they credit you with swagbucks. Bonus: they post swagcodes to social media that you can enter for various swagbucks throughout the day. Another Bonus: the site also offers coupons for printing that credits your swagbucks account when you use them at stores. It turns into a great two for one deal. 



Discounted Gift Cards:
  • This site is great for discount gift cards. Gift cards are delivered to your account within 24 hours. In my experience gift cards are usually delivered within two hours. If you sign up for the newsletter you will receive notifications of gift card sales which offers an additional 5% off of the sale price. 

Every penny adds up. Think about it this way, you can buy a discount gift card for 5% off and then use the shopping portal for an additional 3% cash back and it could save you a few dollars (if you were already planning to make that purchase). Remember, you can also earn free gift cards with the search engines/apps that can be used on the shopping portals to earn a percentage for cash back on the gift card you earned for free! 

Just a few ways that I save a few dollars here and there that eventually add up. Questions? Post them in the comments and I will be happy to respond.

 

Until Next Time,


Peace & Blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment