Monday, March 24, 2008

Meeting Pearl Cleage


Pearl Cleage is one of my favorite authors. I discovered her first book What Looks Like Crazy on an Ordinary Day in 1998 after asking an employee in Books-A-Million for a title that was not in stock. I do not remember the employee's name, but she suggested Ms. Cleage.

I devoured that book in a couple of hours and went searching for more of her titles. I have since been a devout fan of hers and seemed to always miss her book signings and appearances.

Until last week.

With a leisure stroll through the local newspaper, I stumbled upon Ms. Cleage's next book signing and eagerly drove into downtown only to find her appearance rescheduled. Bummer.


Disappointed, I put the new date on my calendar and almost stayed home. The book addict in me took over and I am elated that I ventured back into the mangled asphalt of downtown. Ms. Cleage is an inviting, honest and sincere warm-spirit that can be described as nothing short of simply a joy to be around.

She read from her new novel Seen it All and Done the Rest. With a small crowd, it was delightfully easy to have a great question and answer section and even have my first purchased Cleage novel signed.


Thank you Ms. Cleage for the open and honest discussion. I enjoyed myself tremendously, and the writer in me is soaring with inspiration and new ideas ;-) Can't wait until the next book signing. (I have a few friends who are peeping my book, but this one is not being loaned out!)

3 comments:

  1. She sounds like a tremendous writer. I've never read her, but I've read other authors whose books I were unable to put down. So I know the feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell from your post that you possess writing talent as well. Glad you enjoyed the experience with Ms. Cleage.

    Keep your eyes peeled for an opportunity to be a part of the next collection of stories by bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what looks like crazy... is one of my favorite books of all time.

    i met her at spelman when she came to speak one time. she is simply lovely. and warm, as you said.

    hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete